ATscale’s vision is to ensure every person can access and afford the AT they need, enabling a lifetime of potential. ATscale’s mission is to catalyze action, amplify existing work, and coordinate and mobilize global stakeholders with unified strategies to increase availability of and access to AT. ATscale’s goal is to ensure that 500 million more people globally are reached with life-changing AT by 2030.
ATscale has three mutually reinforcing objectives:
- to raise awareness, grow political will, and mobilize investment;
- strengthen policy, systems, and service delivery at country level to increase access to high-quality, affordable AT; and
- invest in interventions to overcome supply and demand-side market barriers to build and shape AT markets.
The scope of AT is potentially very large. In order to focus work, ATscale has initially identified five priority product areas: hearing aids, wheelchairs, eyeglasses, prostheses and assistive digital devices and software.
How does ATscale take action?
- inspires and influences stakeholders to act on AT by raising political will and mobilizing resources from current and new actors;
- develops and promotes tools, guidance and expertise globally and in countries to assure quality AT service delivery;
- provides governments and relevant AT stakeholders with support to co-create integrated national AT joint investment plans;
- provides investment to support national AT plans over three years initially, inviting other partners to collaborate;
- uses data and evidence to support and advocate the development of AT markets in five priority product areas: wheelchairs, hearing aids, prostheses, eyeglasses and digital devices and software.
Created in 2018, ATscale is hosted by UNOPS.